Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Resolutions??

I used to be really big on doing New Year's Resolutions (NYRs)...until I gave up on them so often that I have completely lost motivation! It is exciting to see the people around me making NYRs, but I didn't have the willpower nor the energy to think of any this year. There are definitely parts of me and my life that I need to change, but I hate jumping into a resolution without fully thinking through how I would succeed in any particular goal. Steve has a unique perspective when it comes to NYRs. He thinks that they're pointless because if you really want to change your life you would start today, not January 1. At first I thought this was a little pessimistic and maybe even silly, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. A lot of people have the willpower to follow through with their NYRs, but most will give up after a day, week, or even a month. If something desperately needs to change in your life, don't hesitate - start immediately. But although Steve's approach is making more sense to me, the OCD part of me is totally in agreement with those who try to start fresh on January 1. It is the beginning of a new year, signifying a brand new start on the calendar and hopefully some part of their lives. I think my conclusion (for the moment, of course) is that NYRs are handy for little things like not drinking soda or cutting down on candy for the year, but on bigger issues like pursuing a better relationship with God or spending more time with family, it is better to start immediately no matter what time of year it is. Just my thoughts...always open to new evidence and opinions! So now that I obviously didn't make any NYRs...what about you? I love to hear what crazy things people attempt to do or change. Do you have a silly or serious NYR? More than one? Think they're stupid? I'd love to hear anything you got :) I hope everyone has had a fantastic Christmas/New Year season and good luck getting back into the swing of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment